Holmer Green with Beamond End
The Village has the benefit of a large enclosed Common which includes a further enclosed children’s play area. A visiting fair is held on The Common in May and September every year. Holmer Green Sports Association provides facilities for tennis, football, cricket, squash and short mat bowls and the High Wycombe Model Engineering Club.
Holmer Green also enjoys a thriving retail area including a number of food outlets, a small supermarket, pharmacy, off-licence, hair and beauty salons, newsagent, greengrocer and charity shop. In addition the Village has a petrol station, two vehicle repair and MOT centres as well as a small Trading Estate.
Well served educationally from Nursery to Senior School level Holmer Green has a number of Churches serving different denominations.
There are many activities and Clubs in Holmer Green and further information can be found in the Village publication ‘Holmer Green Today’ available from a number of local shops and also on the Village website Holmer Green Village Society
Rossetti Hall is available for hire, see the Village Hall page for more information.
Beamond End is a small hamlet linked by footpaths across farmland. In the middle of the hamlet is a sizeable freshwater pond fronting the lane. Its presence was clearly marked on a map of the Manor of Beamond End in 1740. It probably originated as a farm pond and is similar to the “dew pond” six of which used to be in Holmer Green. In 1854 the Little Missenden Enclosure Award set out the pond as a public pond and animals could be watered there.
The name ‘Beamond’ is derived from the old French ‘Beau mont’ meaning ‘beautiful hill’.
Hyde Heath is situated on top of the Chiltern Hills and is located in a triangle between Amersham, Chesham and Great Missenden.
The Village offers a cricket green, school, public house and a Village Hall, which is a focal point. Approximately 500 people live in Hyde Heath and many commute to London with direct links at Amersham on Chiltern Railways and the Metropolitan Line.
A range of activities take place on the Common including fitness groups, football training, Alpine and dog walkers and children using the activity play area. A cricket pavilion is located on the Common and in the summer months hosts a weekly cricket match.
The Village Hall is a focal point for many societies and groups for all ages including Cubs, Brownies, music, dance and drama groups and an annual quiz.
Hyde Heath offers a wide range of housing including a Residential Care Home, giving the Village a cross-section of residents. The Primary School offers pre-school and a toddler group and caters for children up to the age of 11 years. Located on the edge of the Village Common it has established an excellent reputation.
Hyde Heath residents are keen to maintain a community spirit and the Village Shop is a ‘co-operative’ Shop which is owned and run by residents providing every day necessities
The village name ‘Kingshill’ is fairly self explanatory, meaning a hill in the possession of the king. Local folklore suggests it was King John who provided the name. The affix of ‘Little’ was added to the village name to segregate it from the adjacent hamlet which became Great Kingshill
The oldest building in the village is believed to be the farmhouse at Ashwell Farm in Windsor Lane, which it is claimed was used as a lodge by the King en-route to Windsor, although Affrick’s Farm in Watchet Lane was at an early date given to Godstow Nunnery, for it appears to have belonged to that house in 1291, and to have remained in its possession until its dissolution.
In 1541 it was granted by Henry VIII to Sybil Penn together with the manor of Beamond, and followed the same descent. (Source :A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 2  )
The 1883 OS map shows five farms (including the two above), the Full Moon Pub, the Baptist Church and a few houses.
The first school building (now the nursery school) was built in 1887, previously pupils had been taught in the Baptist chapel.
Deep Mill was the site of a water mill and also cress beds which became a commercial operation on the arrival of the Metropolitan Railway in 1894. The presence of the railway also led to the planting of many cherry orchards in the village.
The village has been used in many films and TV programmes over the years; particularly as one of the more regular Midsomer Murders filming locations. Despite being a small and quaint old village, in recent times it has hosted acclaimed comedy and arts festivals.
The River Misbourne, a rare, natural, perched chalk stream, runs the entire length of the village, through the delightful Shardeloes Lake, towards Old Amersham. Little Missenden has a unique children’s playground in the village centre. Both The Crown and The Red Lion offer B&B and the church serves cream teas through the summer months on Sunday afternoons.
As well as the church, and two pubs, the village is served by the Church of England Infant School, Montessori Little Scholars and the Village Hall. It is a very popular venue for walkers who ramble across the surrounding areas designated as Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty before returning for welcome refreshments.
A children’s playground is situated in the centre of the village, “The Misfits” play cricket on their pitch to the west and “The Miscasts” perform and display their thespian talents in the Village Hall from time to time.
The Village Hall is available for hire. For more information please visit the Little Missenden Village Hall Website