Holmer Green

Historically, Holmer Green was a small Hamlet in the Parish. Today it is considered a village in its own right even though it looks to casual observers like a far corner of High Wycombe. It is next to Hazlemere , about three miles (5 kilometres) south of Great Missenden but unlike Hazlemere, Holmer Green is part of the Parish and Chiltern District Council - a reflection of its own rights which lie in Little Missenden.

History

Holmer Green is named after the Manor of Holmer that covered a significant part of the Parish in the medieval period. The early history of the village is essentially one of people moving out of the village of Little Missenden over the centuries and settling on a large area of heath (now vanished) known as Wycombe Heath or Holmer Heath. The "Holmer" part of the name was first recorded as Holeme in 1208 and is probably Anglo Saxon in origin. It is commonly thought to derive from "mere hollow" which would refer to Holmer Pond. However there are certain factors which do not support this theory and the mere element may actually translate to an old Saxon word meaning "boundary". The "Green" part of the name refers to a large ancient Green, probably dating from the 13th century that used to exist here but was reduced to a mere 4 acres (16,000m²) in size in 1854. The location of the original medieval manor house of Holmer remains obscure although local historians McLain-Smith and Riches have suggested its location at a moated site near Colemans Wood where they have excavated medieval pottery.

Further reading on the history of Holmer Green can be gained in a book published by historians McLain-Smith and Riches called "Once upon a Heath"

The village enjoys a large enclosed common with a children's play area. A fair is held on the common twice per year (May and September) whilst a small circus visits in June. Holmer Green Sports Association provides facilities for tennis, football, cricket, squash, short mat bowls and has the High Wycombe Model Engineering Club,  which has some extensive rail track and a number of locomotives.

The Village enjoys a number of retail outlets which include Mini Supermarket, Pharmacy, Newsagents, Greengrocer, Off Licence, Hair Care, Café, Kebab, Fish & Chips, Indian Takeaway, a Charity shop and petrol station including two vehicle repair centres with MOT certification.

The village is well served by a number of schools from nursery to senior levels. Also the village has a number of Churches serving a number of denominations. See contacts for details.

The village is well served with transport links. Three bus routes pass through the village providing access to High Wycombe, Amersham, Chesham and Hemel Hempstead. Commuting to London can be made, by train, from the local towns of High Wycombe and Amersham. The A404 passes close to the village which connects junctions to M4, M40 and M25